Cars treat my street like it was a racetrack. What can be done to slow people down?
Wellsville City contracts with the Cache County Sheriff’s Department to enforce our ordinances. Contact them at 716-9400. Whatever information you can provide will be helpful (such as car make, license number, times of day and day of week, etc.). Citizens can help eliminate this problem by being aware of how fast they are traveling, especially on side streets.

I don’t like door-to-door solicitors coming to my home, especially at night? Why can’t the City stop them? What can I do? Do they need a business license?
The courts have ruled that door-to-door solicitors have the right to do business. No community, including Wellsville, may prohibit them from entering the city. However, they do have to follow our ordinances.

Wellsville has passed an ordinance that specifically deals with residential solicitors. The ordinance state that solicitors must have a complete an application, provide proof of identity, pay a fee, and the individual solicitors pass a BCI background check and obtain a city-issued certificate BEFORE they begin soliciting. Door to door solicitors can only visit during the hours of 9:00 am and 7:00 pm Mountain Time, Monday through Saturday.

If you feel uncomfortable with someone coming to your door, you are under no obligation to answer it. Under our ordinance, you can stop all solicitors by posting a ‘No Solicitors’ sign near your front entrance door or near the property line adjacent to the sidewalk leading to the residence.

 If you do answer the door, you have the right to see their certificate. Door-to-door solicitors in Wellsville are required to prominently wear and display a city issued ID Badge, bearing their name, the name, address, and phone number of who they represent, their photograph, and the date the certificate expires. If they do not have the ID badge or it is not prominently displayed, or are at your home outside the lawful hours they can operate, you should contact the Sheriff’s Department at 716-9400. Wellsville City has contracted with the Cache County Sheriff’s Department to enforce our ordinances.

 There are exemptions as to who is required to apply for the solicitor’s certificate. These include: persons you specifically invite to the residence, those with a valid State of Utah license, permit or certificate to engage in Door to Door Solicitation, persons delivering goods you previously ordered, persons advocating or disseminating information for, against, or in conjunction with, any Religious Belief, or Political Position regardless of whether Goods, Services, or any other consideration is offered or given, with or without any form of commitment, contribution, donation, pledge, or purpose; and persons representing a Charitable Organization. These exempt persons still need to comply with the other provisions of the city’s ordinance.

A complete copy of the Residential Solicitation Ordinance can be obtained from the city offices.

 Can I put up a sign in front of my house advertising <whatever>?
All signs must comply with the city’s sign ordinance.

I have a problem with barking dogs? …loose dogs? …raccoons? …skunks? …other wildlife?
For barking or dogs running loose, contact our animal control officer at 512-6658. The animal control officer does not handle wildlife issues.

Why can’t I park on the street during winter months?
When snow falls in the evening or overnight it takes considerable time to clear the streets and make them safe for travel. When cars are parked on the city streets it increases the amount of time it takes to complete the job, plus it greatly increases the risks involved to both the snowplow driver and to the residents of the community. City ordinance prohibits parking on any street in the city between November 1 and April 30 between the hours of midnight and 8:00 am, except for brief periods of five minutes or less for loading and unloading or the delivery of property. Emergency vehicles are exempt, of course. The Sheriff’s Department can ticket violators.

 Does the city clean the sidewalks of snow?
Clearing residential and commercial sidewalks is the responsibility of the homeowner or business owner. By ordinance, sidewalks must be cleared within a reasonable amount of time. This is defined as in the case of a storm between the hours of five p.m. and six a.m. as being cleared by 9 a.m. the same day.

What is the difference between a public hearing and a public meeting?
A public meeting is a meeting of a governmental body, such as the city council or planning commission. These meetings are advertised and are open for the public to attend. Public meetings usually do not seek public comments without including a public hearing.

A public hearing is a public meeting with the purpose of hearing from the public. A specific time period is made available for the public to speak and convey their opinions on the subject of the public hearing. Public hearings are also advertised and the hearing must start as closely as possible to the time advertised.

Public hearings are restricted to a single topic; however, several public hearings may take place during the same public meeting.

What are the basic steps of a City Council or Planning & Zoning Commission public hearing?
              1. Welcome to the meeting by the Mayor or Chairman. 
              2. A city staff member may present a report on the facts of the case.
              3. Applicant Presentation – The applicant or his/her representative makes a presentation to the Council or Commission supporting their application. Members of the Council or Commission may ask questions.
              4. Comments from the audience – Residents share their views on the project. Members of the Council or Commission may ask questions.
              5. Call For A Motion – The Mayor or Chairman will ask for a motion to approve, disapprove or continue an application.
              6. Council/Commission Discussion – The members of the Council or Commision may discuss the merits of the case. The applicant, his/her representative, proponents and opponents from the public are not permitted to speak during this time.
              7. Vote – The members of the Council/Commission vote on the issue.

Do meetings always get this loud? (Public hearing courtesy)
             1. When speaking to the Planning Commission, please stand, speak clearly into the microphone and state your name and address. Please speak slowly for the benefit of the city recorder. Speakers are encouraged to focus on pertinent issues, and avoid repetition.
             2. Speakers and audience members are asked to behave politely and be respectful of others positions and opinions. 
             3. Exhibits (photos, petitions, etc.) given to the City Council or the Planning Commission become the property of the City. 
             4. Please turn off all cellular phones, beepers, pagers or other noise making devises.  

What is the purpose of the Planning and Zoning Commission?
The Wellsville City Planning Commission is a five member citizen board appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council. The Planning Commission makes a variety of decisions on diverse items of importance to the City and its residents. The following is a guide to Planning Commission Meetings.

 The Planning Commission provides analysis and recommendations to the City Council on all matter dealing with the present and future development of the City, in accordance with the goals and policies of the City’s General Plan. This includes reviewing, approving, or recommending to the City Council for requests for general plan amendments, zone changes, subdivisions, and text amendments.  

Where can I make my utility payment?
A utility drop box is located at the front of the City Office building located at 75 East Main. Our mailing address is PO Box 6, Wellsville, Utah 84339. Payments are due and payable upon receipt of the bill around the 5th of the month and are received without a late charge until the first day of the following month. If the first day of the month falls on a weekend or a holiday, the payment may be deposited in the utility drop box.

I am moving to Wellsville. What do I go to put services in my name?
Prior to moving in, come to the City office at 75 East Main, complete an application for services, and submit it by mail, fax, or in person. At the current time no deposit is required. This application includes the request for water, sewer, storm drain, garbage, and curbside recycling.

When is garbage picked up?
Garbage is picked up on Tuesdays for residences in Wellsville. Garbage and recycling cans should be placed on the curb the night before or by 7:00 a.m. on the day of pick up. If Tuesday falls on a legal holiday, pickup will be made the following day.

When are recyclables picked up?
The blue recycling bin is picked up every other week on the day of your regular garbage pickup. Click on the link in the next question to see the recycling schedule. Simply put the recyclables inside the bin without separating them and wheel the bin out to the curb.

Do you have a list of the acceptable and unacceptable items for the blue recycling can? What is I have other questions or problems with my garbage or recycling?
Visit the Logan City Environmental Department website for complete information on all your waste and recycling questions.
My water meter reading is very high. What could be the problem?
There are several things that may be attributed to high water usage readings:

  • There may be a break in the water line. Please contact the City Offices at 245-3686, and they will determine if there is a leak. If the break is on the homeowner’s side of the water meter, the homeowner is responsible for arranging for the repair of the line and all associated costs. If the break is on the City’s side of the water meter (usually the street side), then the City will bear the cost of repairing the break.
  • You may have a defective water meter. Again, call the City Offices, and they will check the meter for defects.
  • You may have toilets that are constantly running water. Check your toilets for running water.

If you have any other questions about your utility charges, please contact the City office by phone (245-3686) or e-mail

If you have additional question you would like to see answered on this page, please  send your question in an email to