Look here for information that pertains to the services offered by Wellsville City and to the day-to-day living in our community.

Water:  Up to 20 thousand gallons (per month)  $  29.50 (effective August 1 2010)
Each water account is allowed up to 20 thousand gallons per month at the base rate of $29.50 per month. Charges for 20-50,000 gallons are at a rate of .60 cents per 1000 gallons over 20,000. Charges for 50,000 and over are at a rate of .80 cents per 1000 gallons. Meter readings are done in April, June, August, and October. Any overage will show up on these billing statements. Residents are responsible for water lost due to leaks on their property.

Water meters are city property, and should be handled only by city employees. Water meters being turned on and off by property owners or occupants is prohibited by law, violating this ordinance could subject you to a fine of up to $500.

Water connection or disconnection:              
With 24 hours notice – no charge
Without 24 hours notice, non-emergency, $25.00
Water connection or disconnection due to non-payment of a past-due account – $200.00

Sewer service – $22.50
Sewer service for Heritage Southwest Estates – $29.00

Garbage: 90 gallon can plus recycling bin – $16.75 *
                  60 gallon can plus recycling bin – $14.50 *

Recycling Information

To change the size of your garbage can, or to have one picked up or delivered, phone the County Solid Waste at 716-9753

Garbage is picked up on Tuesdays for residences in Wellsville. Garbage and recycling cans should be placed on the curb the night before or by 7:00 a.m. on the day of pick up. If Tuesday falls on a legal holiday, pickup will be made the following day.

The blue recycling bin is picked up every other week on the day of your regular garbage pickup. See the Recycling Schedule for 2011 here. Simply put the recyclables inside the bin without separating them and wheel the bin out to the curb.













Communication Center fee (emergency 911) – $2.00 *
* These services are provided by Cache County and the fees collected are passed back to them.

Storm Water Fee – $3.00. For information on ways to protect our streams and rivers from stormwater pollution, click here.

Fire Equipment Fee – $3.00. Starting November 1, 2011 this fee will be accessed. The monies collected will be used for the purchase of fire and emergency equipment.

Other Utilities: Contact these companies directly for hookups, questions, or other concerns.

Questar (natural gas)                                            752-7751
Qwest (telephone)                                       (800) 244-1111
Rocky Mountain Power (electricity)           (888) 221-7070
Comcast (cable TV)                                               752-9731

Other Information for your use:

Annual Drinking Water Quality Reports
2010 Report
2009 Report
2008 Report

Hyrum Library
– Wellsville City pays a fee every year so our citizens can have access and use of the Hyrum Library at no additional charge. The library address is Hyrum City Library, 50 West Main. The phone is 245-6411. Visit the library website for more information.

 Operated by the Wellsville Foundation, the Historic Wellsville Tabernacle is located at 75 South 100 East.

To rent the Tabernacle the fees are as follows (the fees are set by the Wellsville Foundation, not Wellsville City): $10.00 per hour (Monday thru Thursday), $20.00 per hour (Friday thru Sunday with holidays included), $150 per day (chapel weddings only).

NOTE: The tabernacle is temporally closed and is not available to rent.

Scheduling will be done on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Reservations for the Tabernacle FAMILY HOLIDAY CALENDAR (November – January dates) will be accepted on the first Monday of February each year.

Reservations may be requested online at staff@wellsvilleheritage.org. You may view the Tabernacles calendar or obtain additional information at www.wellsvilleheritage.org.

Bowery Reservations:
The Bowery on the city square is available to rent for 5 hour blocks at the rate of $15 per block for city residents and $30 per block for non-city residents. Please contact the city offices at 245-3686 for more information.

Animal Control:
For animal control concerns call 512-6658. Please note that the city animal control officer does not handle problems with wildlife (raccoons, skunks, deer, etc.). For extreme wildlife problems, try contacting the state Department of Wildlife Resources. For issues with cats and dogs you can also contact the Cache Humane Society  at 792-3920 or go to their website.

City ordinance requires that dogs must be kept on the owner’s property or kept on a lease when off the owner’s property. Failure to maintain such control is a violation of city ordinances and is subject to a fine.

Dog licenses:
Dog licensing is required by law and citations may be issued for non-compliance. The City of Wellsville appreciates responsible pet owners! We depend on pet owners to keep their dogs properly vaccinated and licensed. Licensing for cats is currently not necessary.

All dogs weaned or 6 months of age or older must be registered. Licensing for the year occurs from January through March. After March 31st dog licensing fees triple, unless it is a newly acquired dog or you are new to the area. You can download a copy of the dog licensing application.

To receive a dog license, please provide the following:
1) A copy of a current rabies vaccination certificate from your veterinarian, showing that your dog is current on its vaccine.
2) Proof that the animal has been spayed or neutered, to receive the discounted fee.
3) The appropriate fee: $5/year for spayed/neutered animals or $10/year for unaltered animals. This fee is per animal.

The dog owner is then given an identification tag, which is maintained in an animal identification report to assist the animal control officer in quickly returning lost pets to their owners.

The rabies tag that you received from your vet is not a license. City ordinance requires that all dogs be licensed. This also allows your pet to be returned safely to you in the event that it is lost. 

Kennel Permit:If you have three or more dogs you need a kennel license. This requires approval of the Planning and Zoning Commission and involves a public hearing. Clontact the City Office at 245-3686 about getting on the Planning Commission agenda. The cost of a Kennel license is $50.

Burn Permits:
Burn permits are issued by the Cache County Fire District based on weather conditions. Permits are only issued when the Clearing Index is under 500. For more information about the Clearing Index and burn permits in general, visit the Fire District’s web page. For burn permits contact one of the following: Tom Leishman (245-6677) or the County Fire Department (716-7299).

Schools for the Wellsville Area:

To visit the website for each school click here and select the school by name under the ‘Schools’ drop down menu.

    Wellsville Elementary (K-5), 90 East 100 South, Wellsville, 245-3764
    Mountainside Elementary (K-5), 235 East 125 North, Mendon, 792-7688
    Willow Valley (6 & 7), 525 North 200 West, Wellsville, 245-0505
    South Cache (8 & 9), 10 South 480 West, Hyrum, 245-6433
    Mountain Crest High School (10-12), 255 South 800 East, Hyrum, 245-6093

Windows of Wellsville
: The City is working with Watkins Publishing to produce a limited number of these outstanding history books. More information will be available as the details are worked out.
Wellsville Cemetery:
Information concerning the Wellsville Cemetery, including purchasing burial sites, can be found here.

Winter Parking and Snow Removal
The City’s goal regarding snow removal is to provide safe access in and out of the City in the event of severe weather. To accomplish this, we need everyone’s assistance and cooperation. 

The Public Works Department provides for snow removal from the city streets on a  24 hours a day, seven days a week. After-hours staff is limited, unless a snow emergency is declared. The City staff is committed to provide safe conditions for City residents.

Street parking is restricted from November 1 to the following March 31

  •  So as to provide access to snow plows for snow removal,it is unlawful for the driver of any vehicle to park any motor vehicle on any street in the city between November 1 of each year and April 30 of the following year, for a period of time longer than five (5) minutes when loading or unloading passengers and for a period of time longer than five (5) minutes when loading or unloading or delivering property between the hours of twelve o’clock (12:00) midnight and eight o’clock (8:00) A.M. This subsection shall not apply to emergency vehicles. (Ord. 2007-01, 3-21-2007)

Placing Snow in Roadway

  • Please refrain from removing snow or ice from individual private property and placing it in the roadway of any street or private road. This makes it difficult to keep roads cleared, and doing so creates dangerous conditions for all motor vehicles. In addition, please do not push snow across a city street.

Snow Plow Safety

  • Drive slowly, pass oncoming plows with extreme caution, and never drive into a snow plow’s cloud.
  • Snow plows often use wing plows extending off to either side to clear more snow quicker. Never pass a snow plow by driving on the shoulder, and be very careful while passing a plow in the left lane of a multi-lane highway. Give plow blades plenty of room along the center line of the roadway.
  • Snow plows frequently stop and back up. If you are driving bumper to bumper, you are probably in the snow plow’s blind spot—an accident just waiting to happen. Give snow plows plenty of room to work in every direction.
  • Driving into the cloud that a snow plow kicks up can instantly blind you, creating a total “whiteout.” Be very careful around snow plows.
  • Do not allow children to play on or near the street when snow plowing is in progress.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Snow Removal and Winter Parking :

Q. How does the City’s street snow removal program work?
A. Our snow removal program is designed to help keep the City’s roadways as safe and accessible as possible both during and after snowstorms. A snow removal operation will run continuously until the roads are safe for travel. Since safety is the first priority, school zones and main roadways are plowed first. After these areas are cleared, streets are plowed according to main feeder-roads, then side roads and subdivision streets, cul-de-sacs, and then dead-end streets. If the storm is continuous and heavy, the plows will continue to open the main roadways and school zones as necessary, returning to the lower priority streets when possible.

Q. Are sidewalks plowed by the City?
A. Residents are responsible to clear snow and ice from the sidewalks adjacent to their own properties. This should be done as soon as possible after a storm to allow the sunshine to melt the ice from the sidewalk. Leaving snow on sidewalks to freeze during the night makes it more difficult to remove the ice and creates unsafe conditions for pedestrians.

Q. May I park my vehicle on the street during the winter season?
A. Wellsville City code prohibits parking on streets between the hours of 12:00am (modnight) – 8:00am from November 1 to the following April 30. As always, parking of over-sized vehicles such as trailers, busses, recreational vehicles, etc. is strictly prohibited. Parking on the street after a snowstorm makes it difficult for snowplows to clear the streets and causes hazardous driving conditions for other vehicles attempting to maneuver through the deep snow. Vehicles, trailers, or equipment left on the street during snowstorms will be ticketed and/or towed.

Q. The snowplows push snow into my freshly cleared driveway. Isn’t there a better way to clear the streets to show some consideration to City residents?
A. Unfortunately, there isn’t a better way to clear streets. The snow has to go somewhere, and to make our roads safe, that “somewhere” is the side of the road. Snowplow blades are designed to push snow to the side of the road. Homeowners are asked to wait until the street is cleared prior to cleaning out the drive approach, when possible. Just a reminder that it is illegal to throw or push snow into any street. This can make the road more dangerous for cars and snowplows. You are encouraged to move the snow onto your own property.

Q. Which roads are not plowed by the City?
 – County roads are plowed by the County.
 – Private roads are to be maintained by the individual owner. 
 – State roads are plowed by UDOT (Utah Department of Transportation).

Q. When do plowing and/or salting commence?
 – Snowfall accumulation of two inches or more, or if conditions warrant. 
 – Accumulation of drifting snow.
 – Ice and/or freezing rain that affect road conditions.

Once any of these conditions exist, the goal is to have all main roadways plowed as quickly as possible. Obviously, with a limited city staff not all areas can be cleared at once. Intersection cleanup and the plowing back of snow banks occur as needed. Normally, plow operators will begin plowing at 5:00 a.m. to have the major streets plowed before the morning rush hour. If conditions warrant, plow operators may begin to remove snow before 5:00 a.m. Plowing operations will be suspended when high winds causing whiteout conditions jeopardize the safety of the snow plow operators and/or the public.

Q. What if a snowplow tips over my mailbox?
The city snowplows rarely hit a mailbox directly; most often is is the weight of the snow being thrown from the plow that tips the mailbox over. This is unavoidable, especially with heavy snow. While our drivers make every effort to avoid the mailboxes, the mailbox’s location on city right-of-way put them in harms way. Because the boxes are set-up on the street right-of-way, owners are responsible to replace their own mailboxes if they are knocked down. The City does not pay for replacement of any mailbox.

Q. Where should I put my garbage cans for pick-up on garbage day?
Please do not place your garbage cans on the roadway while waiting for pick-up! Each household should clear an area OFF TO THE SIDE of the pavement where the cans set while waiting for pick-up. Once the garbage truck have been by and emptied the cans, they should be rolled back to your home ASAP. Garbage cans that are left on the street are liable to be hit by the plows. If your can is hit and damaged by the snowplow, you are responsible to pay $80 for a new can.